We are inspired every day by the beautiful discoveries you share with us. To honor the vibrancy and value that each of you brings to Trover, we created the $500 Trover Travel Scholarship. Each month, we award it to one traveler who has particularly inspired us with their photos and stories.
This month, we’re thrilled to award the Trover Travel Scholarship to Carl & Sasha!
Who are Carl & Sasha? They’re backpacking adventurers currently exploring Southeast Asia! We asked them to share a few details about their inspirational travel story and tips for your own backpacking adventure! On to you, Carl & Sasha . . .
During the 13 years we have been together we always prioritised travelling. We have been lucky enough to visit some amazing places over the years over long weekends and two-week stints, but 2017 was the year we finally packed it all in and set off for a longer backpacking adventure. It might seem crazy to some, quitting good jobs and going against the trend of buying a house and settling down, but this is always something we dreamed of and it is the best thing we have ever done.
We are nearing the end of our amazing 8-month Southeast Asia backpacking trip; we have one month left exploring Lombok, Flores and Bali in Indonesia. We will soon be heading to Australia for 12-months where we plan to buy a camper-van so that we can explore this incredible country in between working. After this, who knows? We definitely want to explore South America so maybe this will be the next trip.
There is nothing more inspiring to us than the new experiences we gain by travelling. We love the way different cultures challenge our thinking, how nature takes our breath away, how unpredictable circumstances show us what we are capable of achieving, that there is much more to us than where we live and work, and most of all, how you can make the most unlikely friends in the most unlikely of places.
We came across Trover when planning for our trip, we loved the way travellers could share their experiences from around the world and it gave us some great ideas of where we wanted to visit. We wanted to be a part of keeping this community growing and to inspire others to go out and discover the world, so have enjoyed sharing some of our favourite places from our past and current trip.
Check out Carl & Sasha’s expert backpacking tips down below, and be sure to follow Carl & Sasha on Trover as they begin a new adventure in Australia! You can also catch them on Instagram and read more about their backpacking adventures on their blog PacksAndAPlan. Thank you for sharing your vibrant discoveries and delightful travel insight with the Trover community. Enjoy the $500 for travel. We can’t wait to see your next adventure!
Tips for Backpacking
Courtesy of Carl & Sasha from PacksAndAPlan
- A long backpacking trip will be nowhere near as difficult or as intimidating as you might think it is when planning for it, we spent so many hours researching things we actually didn’t need to – just embrace the good times
- Have confidence to talk to people, we have met some amazing people on our travels who we would never have met anywhere else and we are so thankful to know them.
- Get an international driving permit (we wish we had realised the need for this but it still worked out!) and explore by scooter, we had some of our best experiences finding our own way by bike.
- Use a travel budget app, this made our trip stress free as we always knew what we were working to
- Don’t be afraid to deviate from your original plan if things are not working out, amazing things can happen!