Lighthouses have long served an important purpose for sailors and seamen navigating stormy seas and charting unknown coastlines. Even in today’s world of GPS navigation and high-tech equipment, these beacons of light continue to guide the way.
But what draws most to these traffic signals is their simple, captivating beauty. From rugged rocky outcrops in the north to sandy scenic coastlines in the south, American lighthouses offer some of the most picturesque and dramatic coastal views in the country. With hundreds of lighthouses throughout the U.S., there’s much to explore. Here are some of our favorite and most picturesque lighthouses in America:
1. Walton Lighthouse in Santa Cruz, California
2. Cape Hatteras Light in Buxton, North Carolina
3. Nubble Lighthouse in York, Maine
4. Lime Kiln Lighthouse on San Juan Island, Washington
5. Cape Florida Light in Key Biscayne, Florida
6. Whaleback Light in York County, Maine
7. Port Sanilac Lighthouse in Port Sanilac, Michigan
8. Cape Lookout Lighthouse in the Outer Banks, North Carolina
9. Pigeon Point Lighthouse in San Mateo County, California
10. North Point Lighthouse in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
11. Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse in Bass Harbor, Maine
12. North Head Lighthouse in Ilwako, Washington
13. Split Rock Lighthouse in Two Harbors, Minnesota
14. Bodie Island Lighthouse in Nags Head, North Carolina
15. Chicago Harbor Lighthouse in Chicago, Illinois
16. West Quoddy Head Light in Lubec, Maine
17. Cape Henry Lighthouse in Fort Story, Virginia
18. Portsmouth Harbor Light in Newcastle, New Hampshire
19. Roanoke Marshes Lighthouse in Manteo, North Carolina
20. Portland Head Light in Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Ready to start exploring America’s many lighthouses? Check out more of our favorites by following this list of American Lighthouses. Or expand your search more globally with this list of Lighthouses Around the World.
Wherever your journeys may take you, remember to use Trover as your guiding light and be sure to share your discoveries on Desktop or iOS/Android today!