Between its historical architecture, idyllic parks and squares, and world-renowned cuisine, Brussels is a quintessential European city. In fact, with major French and Dutch influences, this Belgian capital also serves as the capital of the European Union.
But there’s more to this city than politics and chocolate (though there’s plenty of that, too). Check out 17 reasons we think Brussels should be on your radar this year:
1. Charming cafe-lined streets like Rue des Chapeliers
2. Opulent guildhalls surrounding the Grand Place
3. Picnics at the picturesque Bois de la Cambre
4. World-renowned chocolates like those by Pierre Marcolini
5. No, seriously. CHOCOLATE. Check out this fountain at La Belgique Gourmande
6. Awesome street art on every corner
8. Shopping in the beautiful Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert
9. The architectural and botanical allure of the Royal Greenhouses of Laeken
10. Decadent cappuccinos at Maison Dandoy
11. The Atomium, a building shaped like a unit cell of crystal, magnified 165 billion times!
12. Did we mention you can go inside? #nerdalert
13. Beer! And lots of it. Like this pint of world-renowned Delirium from Au Brasseur
14. Or the 2,000+ beers on tap at the Delirium Café. Yeah, 2,000
15. The incredible architecture of the 15th-century Brussels Town Hall
16. Belgium’s most famous statue, Manneken Pis. Yes, seriously
17. And of course, Belgian Waffles!
Hungry for more? Check out our full list of things to do, places to see, and sweets to eat in Brussels. Don’t forget to share your own Belgian discoveries on Trover when you visit!