Providing more than a fifth of the total calories consumed by humans worldwide, rice is a pretty incredible grain. Also incredible are the beautifully intricate rice terraces that were used in early mass farming of the world’s favorite ancient grain.
While terraced fields can be found all over the world, below are 13 of our “hand-picked” favorite remarkable rice terraces:
1. The 2,000 year old Banaue Rice Terraces in Banaue, Philippines
Considered by some to be the “Eighth Wonder of the World,” and it’s easy to why.
2. The Longsheng Rice Terraces near Guilin, China
3. Jatiluwih Rice Fields in Bali, Indonesia
4. Terraces on the hills of Sapa, Vietnam
5. Farmer tending the Tegallalang Rice Terraces in Ubud, Indonesia
6. The Rice Terraces of the Philippine Cordilleras in Batad, Philippines
7. The Yuanyang Rice Terraces in Yunnan, China
8. Terraced hills in Tú Lệ, Vietnam
9. Terraces in Dolakha, Nepal
10. Tegallalang Rice Terraces in Ubud, Indonesia
11. The Longji Rice Terraces in Guilin, China
12. Terraced fields in Sapa, Vietnam
13. Colorful terraces in Hà Giang, Vietnam
To see even more remarkable rice terraces from around the world, check out the full list here and don’t forget to share your own discoveries on Trover!